From time to time I see old articles doing the rounds, and one of them is the remarkable story of the only woman to serve in the French Foreign Legion.
On a related note, consider this meal. Starter: Deer terrine. Main: Cassoulet with duck fat. Dessert: Camembert cheese, chocolate cake. The menu at a fine restaurant? No — the rations given to French soldiers.
In other news:
- The CIA disseminated Doctor Zhivago as a weapon in the Cold War.
- Car washers, horseback riding instructors, and more: the first jobs of Nobel Prize winners.
- Restaurant reviews are affected by the weather!
- And speaking of which, here is a bullish article on the future of solar power.
- In robot news of the week, could this be the future of mining?
- Turning to online media, “a lot of top journalists don’t look at traffic numbers“. And while advertising motivates bloggers to work hard, it also motivates them to chase hits.
- And lastly, how many people does it take to colonise another star system?